|Legs - room for storage boxes underneath - for growing mushrooms and storage|
|With drainage holes *see note below|
|Rocks as a base|
*Note: after the success with my seeding pots I had looked into DIY options to make the planter also self watering - most involved specialised equipment (= very expensive) and/or large water reservoir (= weight on the balcony) . That very night after we had finished the day's work, while looking for something else, I stumbled across these instructions:
I may in the future empty the planter and set up this or something similar (shh... don't tell Matt, yet).
The next day I finished cleaning up and did a bit of pottering including a reorganisation of the overall layout. Later that day I was hanging out the washing and thinking, even without plants in the planter, how much nicer it was on the balcony. I could feel the microclimate developing already, when... something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye...
|Beneficial bugs (or at least I hope so!)|